Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chemo hats, ahoy!

Last year, I heard about group looking for hand knit items for breast cancer patient care baskets. I ended up knitting at least half a dozen hats for them.

Today I received an e-mail from a PharmD student who is coordinating breast cancer care baskets this year. She wrote to ask if I would knit more hats, and included the recommendation from last year's coordinator: "...there's a COP staff person who knitted most of the hats last year...she just pounded them out!!"

Heheh. OK, so after submitting a couple hats, I agreed to take their bag of leftover balls and knit a bunch of hats in about a week. I really enjoyed it!

I used the super easy, super flexible Pi Topper chemo cap by Corey Laflamme (http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=182024). It's a great pattern, using just one ball of nubby cotton Elann Esprit. I knit the cap as written, then in seed and other stitch variations, and rounded out my litter by knitting a black cap with stripes from the leftover yards from the other caps.

I offered to do a half-dozen caps this year - quick, satisfying breaks from Percy and my flock of shawls. I think I did a WW prayer shawl last year, but the caps are quicker and I think maybe more useful to more people - and there's no way I'm giving Percy up to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment